Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Fads, Fashions, Classics

For a class assignment, I had to go out to the streets of Vancouver and take a photo of someones outfit that I felt represented a fad, a fashion and a classic. I felt awkward asking people to take photos of them, so I opted for the more creepy, don't know I'm doing it, 007 picture taking.

Here's what I found:


I felt this gentleman represented classic for the following reasons: Nothing in his outfit really matches, the shoes are brown, the blazer grey, the pants black, yet it someone works together. The demographic for this outfit is definitely a more senior man, probably between the ages of 50-70. I don't see anyone younger than that really wearing this. I think that this outfit has an Old English feel to it, you can picture this man sitting by his fireplace in England, smoking a pipe. Definitely a "classic" in more ways than one.




 I felt this girl represented a fashion because of her "lumberjack" plaid shirt. These shirts have been around for years and years, coming in and out of trend. They originally were very utilitarian, being worn by farmers and actual lumberjacks, then they trickled up into streetwear. They are now worn by men and women alike, usually very casually. I do however, feel that the bottom of this girls outfit is more of a trend, the leggings and boots don't have the same sustainability as the shirt.



I am listing this girl's entire outfit as a fad. The pants are acid washed jeans, and first became popular in the 80's. The boots are very trendy,  very current, very now. They don't seem like they will stay in trend for a very long time though. As for her sweater, these animals prints and fair isle type sweaters never stay in for very long, you see them come and go throughout clothing store almost every other season.

No comments:

Post a Comment